Accessing Home is seeking individuals who are passionate about community development, promoting access to quality housing, and the City of Providence to serve as a full-time AmeriCorps member with the Providence Housing Authority (PHA).
The Accessing Home AmeriCorps PHA member will help address housing instability and economic challenges faced by our residents. Members provide the following services:
- • one-on-one eviction prevention intervention
- • tenant coaching, support, and education
- • connections to various PHA and community services
- • community outreach and awareness campaigns
- • and so much more!
The Accessing Home AmeriCorps PHA Member will serve a one-year term with an option to renew upon successful completion of their first year. The service year runs from October 2018 through August of 2019.
Member training and mentoring with the Providence Housing Authority and Accessing Home programs will occur regularly and members are eligible to receive professional certification as a Resident Services Coordinator upon completion of their service year.
Applicants are required to submit to a 3-part criminal history check (however certain offenses do not exclude you from serving) and document status as a citizen or lawful permanent resident. Members must be at least 18 years old and have or be in the process of obtaining a high school diploma or GED.
Ideal candidates will:
- • Be Bilingual. English and Spanish preferred.
- • Be dedicated and have initiative.
- • Have experience working simultaneously on multiple projects.
- • Able to advocate, organize, problem-solve and obtain results.
- • Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- • Possess strong communication skills.
- • Be comfortable using Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
- • Have access to reliable transportation.
There are many benefits to the AmeriCorps program. Full-time members receive:
- • Living Allowance of $580/bi-weekly
- • Education Award of $6,095
- • Paid Time Off
- • Health Coverage (excludes dependents)
- • Training, Professional certification as a Resident Services Coordinator
- • Childcare, if needed
About Accessing Home Across the State
The Accessing Home initiative launched in 2016 to help Rhode Island families acquire and maintain affordable, safe, and healthy housing.
Through this initiative, NeighborWorks Blackstone River Valley and the Housing Network of RI partner with community development organizations, nonprofits, and public housing authorities like the PHA to equip Rhode Islanders with the resources necessary to acquire and maintain affordable, high-quality housing. Each year’s cohort train together, support each other and provide valuable perspectives from around the State that add to the quality of work at each site.
Since 2016, 24 Accessing Home AmeriCorps members have been placed throughout Rhode Island. They have:
- • Provided eviction prevention services to over 225 individuals
- • Helped 416 individuals find housing
- • Received more than 1,100 hours of training
- • Served more than 14,000 hours
- • Earned 7 professional Resident Services Coordinator certifications
About the National AmeriCorps Program
The AmeriCorps program is sponsored by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
What is AmeriCorps video can be found here: https://youtu.be/QgdRkzLKlPM.
To learn more about federal AmeriCorps programs in general, visit www.AmeriCorps.gov.
Ready to Apply?
Email your resume to Ainsley Cantoral, Strategic Initiatives Advisor, at AinsleyC@pha-Providence.com with the Subject line: Accessing Home AmeriCorps by September 17, 2018.